Junior Associate Sailing Membership
All junior sailors aged 7 to 18 who are not children of current members must be Junior Associate Sailing Members. These $50 memberships allow sailors to participate in sailing events at CYC from the start of their membership through the end of the calendar year. This membership is required to attend any CYC sailing sessions.
Summer Sailing Programs + Camps
Summer sailing programs at CYC offer something for everyone! Ages 5 to 18 are welcome to join us in learning to sail, having fun in the water, conducting STEM experiments related to sailing, and so much more!
CYC junior sailing and summer camps are designed to promote:
- A lifelong love for sailing and being on the water
- All types of sailing: racing & non-racing
- Water safety
- Respect for the natural environment involved in sailing
- A skill development path for every participant
- Experiences that build confidence and friendships
Class Offerings: 2023 CYC Junior Summer Sailing Program
One Week Classes:
- Sea Squirts: This half-day 15-HOUR program is designed for our youngest sailors, aged 5 & 6, to ignite their passion for CYC, water safety, and having fun in boats. This class is an opportunity to meet new friends at the club, learn the basics of sailing (terminology, knots, seamanship, water safety (capsizing/ towing), and corinthian spirit. No prior experience required for this course. A new session will begin each week.
- Sound Sharks: This half-day 15-HOUR course is designed for the sailors, ages 7 & 8 that are graduating from our Sea Squirt program but may not be old enough for a full day two-week Beginner Optimist course. This course involves more on the water time developing sailing skills as well as fun on and off the water.
- Cruise Control: This course is a full day, one-week 35-HOUR program for our ‘cruising’ sailors, ages 9 – 13, that are interested in having fun and adventuring on the water. Whether the sailors are cruising to a picnic lunch or the cliffs for fun and swimming, this program is sure to thrill! Sailors need no prior experience to participate in this course.
Two Weeks Classes:
- Beginner Opti: This is a two-week, 70-hour course designed for sailors, ages 8 – 12, new to sailing or moving up from the Sound Shark program (aged 8-12 or under 115 pounds.) The curriculum includes rigging a boat, sailing fundamentals, boat handling, seamanship (knots, weather, etc) water safety, and sportsmanship.
- Opti Green: This is a two-week, 70-hour course designed for experienced sailors, ages 10 – 12, who would like to race or move up from the Beginner Opti. The curriculum includes detailed rigging of an Opti, racing fundamentals, higher leveled boat handling, reading weather reports, water safety, sportsmanship and a small introduction of Ocean Sailing.
- Middle School 420: This is a two-week, 70-hour program designed for our older beginner sailors who haven’t completed a two-week course before. The curriculum includes rigging a boat, sailing fundamentals, boat handling, seamanship (knots, weather, etc) water safety, and sportsmanship.
- High School 420: This is a two-week, 70-hour program designed for our High School sailors who are part of or interested in the year round High School Program. The curriculum includes racing strategy, high level sailing fundamentals and advanced boat handling.
Register for summer sailing programs + camps.
2023 Junior Sailing Brochure
Sailing Camp + Race Team Checklist
Bring the following to camp and practice every day:
- Life jacket
- Refillable water bottle
- Close toed shoes
- Breathable, sun protective clothing that can get wet
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Sunscreen (Please apply before arrival. We will re-apply throughout the day.)
- Dry Towel
- Dry change of clothes
- Healthy Snack
- Lunch (for all day classes)
The following are not permitted:
- Sandals and flip flops
- Ill fitting swimwear (Shorts are recommended over bikini bottoms.)
- Muscle shirts
Families need to complete our codes of conduct and health waivers to participate in junior sailing programs.
- A full refund will be given to any sailor canceling a program when there is a sailor that takes their place from a waiting list.
- A partial refund (50%) of program price will be refunded if the sailor cancels within 30-14 days prior to the program start date.
- A partial refund of 25% of program price will be refunded if the sailor cancels 14-7 days prior to the program start date.
- No refund will be given if a sailor cancels 7 days or less from the start date of program price.
- No refund will be given if a sailor is a no show for a program.
- No refunds will be given due to inclement weather.
- Full credit will be provided for future use of a program if your sailor is sick on the start date of your registered program. Staff will work with you to fit into a different session or another program.
- Please contact our Waterfront Director if you have a special circumstance that will not allow your sailor to attend camp.